Principal IT Security Architect
Company: Western Governors University
Location: Salt Lake City
Posted on: February 7, 2024
The salary range for this role takes into account the wide range
of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions
including but not limited to skill sets; experience and training;
licensure and certifications; and other business and organizational
needs.At WGU, it is not typical for an individual to be hired at or
near the top of the range for their role, and compensation
decisions are dependent on the facts and circumstances of each
case. A reasonable estimate of the current range is: Pay Range:
$157,000.00 - $243,400.00If you're passionate about building a
better future for individuals, communities, and our country-and
you're committed to working hard to play your part in building that
future-consider WGU as the next step in your career.Driven by a
mission to expand access to higher education through online,
competency-based degree programs, WGU is also committed to being a
great place to work for a diverse workforce of student-focused
professionals. The university has pioneered a new way to learn in
the 21st century, one that has received praise from academic,
industry, government, and media leaders. Whatever your role,
working for WGU gives you a part to play in helping students
graduate, creating a better tomorrow for themselves and their
families.Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Works with developers as part of the Software Development Life
- Cultivates secure coding standards based on industry accepted
- Understands how to identify, exploit, and remediate common
application vulnerabilities through use of tools and code
- Prioritizes and tracks assigned security issues.
- Enforces secure development standards and requirements.
- Familiar with compliance & security standards across the
enterprise IT landscape deep understanding of enterprise risk
management methods and techniques to drive successful outcomes in a
- Hardens networks, containers, VMs, and other cloud
infrastructure to reduce risk of cloud security
- Writes and implements policy-as-code to automate the
enforcement of compliance and security configuration
- Demonstrates working knowledge of cloud computing
- Familiar with archive, backup/recovery, and business continuity
processes in distributed operations
- Demonstrates ability to think strategically about business,
product, and technical challenges.
- Assists with penetration testing, incident handling/digital
forensics, continuous monitoring, intrusion detection/prevention,
- Functions equally well in abstract, conceptual, and
architectural work as in granular technical implementation and
- Participates in tactical projects as they arise to clarify and
respond to identified security risks across different technical
- Assists in the development of cloud security policies and
- Builds and maintains relationships across the University to
promote cloud security initiatives.
- Identifies gaps in the University's security model, suggest
solutions including tools and processes.
- Engages with security architects to capture design requirements
for cloud architectures and implementation strategies.
- Creates new processes, identify new threats and mitigation
- Performs other related duties as assigned.Knowledge, Skill and
- Experience with security industry standards and best practices.
Proven experience with interpretation and implementation of those
standards in a corporate environment.
- High integrity. Will be working with sensitive data.
- Operate Information security tools and processes.
- Execute established security practices with consistency and
- Hands on experience integrating security into the various
stages of a CI/CD pipeline.
- Solid understanding of core AWS services including compute
(EC2, ECS, Lambda), network (VPC, Subnets, Security Groups),
storage (S3, EFS, EBS), database (RDS), and identity (IAM).
- Complete understanding of cloud security engineering principles
as applied in the support of, and integration with, key business
and strategic priorities.
- Ability to contribute new intellectual capital through deep
knowledge and direct professional experience in a subject matter
area or technical domain within this function.
- Experience maintaining cloud resources using
infrastructure-as-code (CloudFormation, CDK, etc.).
- Scripting language experience (Bash, Python, etc.) with strong
working knowledge of automation.
- Strong analytical and technical skills.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Knowledge of threat modeling and risk assessment
- Highly technical and analytical, possessing 7 or more years of
IT implementation experience.Leadership:
- Responsible for providing guidance, coaching, and training to
other employees across the University within an area of
- Typically, responsible for managing large, complex project
initiatives or strategic importance solutions to the organization,
involving large cross-functional teams.
- Individual may have direct reports, but generally fewer than
three.Job Qualifications:Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in related field or equivalent
- 15 years of prior relevant experience.
- Recognized expert or thought leader in the area of technical
- Strong experience with distance education and distance learning
students is preferred.
- CISSP Certification
- Masters Degree in IT seucir9ity, compliance or risk
- ISACA Certifications.
- Experience working with application security platforms
- Working knowledge of intrusion detection methodologies and
techniques for detecting intrusions via intrusion detection
- Solid understanding of the AWS well architected framework with
working experience on implementing the security pillar of the
- CCSP, CCSK, CISSP and AWS certifications.
- Working knowledge of federated single sign on (SSO)
- Experience with designing and implementing native AWS security
tools like Guard Duty, Security Hub, IAM access analyzer, Macie,
Inspector, and WAF.
- Technical knowledge of securing containers and apply security
controls to container orchestration platform
- Ability to assist in establishing a DevSecOps process using
available AWS services
- Practical working experience establishing AWS IAM user groups,
roles, and policies*Current WGU employees must submit their
internal application prior to 1/21/2024 to be considered for this
position*Disclaimer: This Job Description has been designed to
indicate the general nature, essential duties, and responsibilities
of work performed by employees within this classification. It does
not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties,
responsibilities, and qualifications that are required of the
employee to do this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities
may change at any time with or without notice. This Job Description
does not constitute a contract of employment and the University may
exercise its employment-at-will rights at any
time.#LI-aw2#LI-remoteAs an equal opportunity employer, WGU
recognizes that our strength lies in our people. We are committed
Keywords: Western Governors University, Salt Lake City , Principal IT Security Architect, Education / Teaching , Salt Lake City, Utah
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!