Automation / Lean Engineer
Company: Corning Inc.
Location: Salt Lake City
Posted on: February 22, 2021
Corning is one of the world's leading innovators in materials
science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its
unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical
physics to develop products that have created new industries and
transformed people's lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique
combination of material and process innovation, and close
collaboration with customers to solve tough technology
As a leading developer, manufacturer, and global supplier of
scientific laboratory products for 100 years, Corning's Life
Sciences segment collaborates with researchers seeking new
approaches to increase efficiencies, reduce costs and compress
timelines in the drug discovery process. Using unique expertise in
the fields of materials science, surface science, optics,
biochemistry and biology, the segment provides innovative solutions
that improve productivity and enable breakthrough discoveries.
Scope of Position: In this role, you will provide support for
day-to-day manufacturing operations with troubleshooting automation
equipment including packaging systems, robotics, logic controllers,
power distribution, vision systems, safety devices, automated
guided vehicles & sensors. We look for you to drive manufacturing
effectiveness through the implementation of Lean concepts such as
workplace organization, uninterrupted flow, error free processing,
& insignificant changeovers. Independently lead Lean projects that
enhance manufacturing capability and drive higher levels of
performance in quality, cost, delivery, morale, & safety.
Communicate and work with production, maintenance, scheduling and
engineering to achieve plant goals and objectives. Day to Day
- Troubleshoot existing automation using first principles and
make recommendations to sustain operations with minimal
- Calibrating and troubleshooting robots, vision and safety
- Design/modify production equipment to meet quality standards
and production quantity goals.
- Select, test, and integrate hardware and software components
such as robots, analog devices, motion controllers, sensors, vision
systems, lasers, and other control related hardware.
- Formulate and produce a complete electrical design package
which includes detailed schematics, panel layouts, bills of
materials, and material requisition forms, based on specifications
and the plant's requirements.
- Design and develop PLC based software programs specific to
system requirements based on standard programming methods
- Work with Production, Scheduling, and Engineering to create
systems and methodologies to improve flow and improve
- Work on waste elimination projects that achieve reduced labor,
increased capacity, decreased cycle time, and reduction of material
scrap (includes horizontal deployment as needed).
- Planning and implementation of workplace flow & layout, as well
as equipment installations, modifications, and moves according to
- Benchmark opportunities and development of partnerships with
- Daily engagement with shop floor practices. Travel
- Standard business hours; Monday - Friday. Required Education:
- Bachelor's level degree in Electrical, Mechanical or
Manufacturing Engineering or related field. Required Years and Area
- Minimum of 0-3+ years relevant engineering experience.
- Prior intern or co-op experience will be considered. Required
- Hands-on experience and electrical/automation troubleshooting
experience outside of the classroom.
- Familiar with Six Sigma / Lean concepts. Desired Experience /
Qualifications / Skills:
- Proficiency with Solidworks software.
- Proficiency wit AutoCAD.
- Experience with servos.
- Robot and vision system experience. Soft Skills:
- Strong technical curiosity
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Open and engaging - able to interface effectively with all
levels of the organization
- Flexible and adaptable
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Process oriented This position does not support immigration
sponsorship. We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race,
color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation,
gender identity or expression, disability, or veteran status or any
other legally protected status. We will ensure that individuals
with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to
participate in the job application or interview process, to perform
essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and
privileges of employment. Please contact us to request
Keywords: Corning Inc., Salt Lake City , Automation / Lean Engineer, Engineering , Salt Lake City, Utah
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!