Manager In Training (MIT) Produce Department
Company: WinCo Foods
Posted on: September 25, 2022
About Us:Join our Winning Team today and start your ownership
WinCo Foods is a rapidly growing family of over 130 grocery stores,
complete with our own distribution centers and transportation
network. We're proud to operate across 10 states west of the
Rockies with more than 20,000 employee owners.
At WinCo Foods we act like owners - because we are! We believe, as
the Low Price Grocery Leader, that we make the lives of the
communities where we operate better by giving them the best
possible prices to feed their families and by focusing on the
success, well-being and diversity of our employee owners.
Currently, WinCo is the third largest Employee-Owned company in the
United States and is #46 on the Forbes.com list of largest
privately owned companies. Did you know that WinCo has more than
500 millionaire employee-owners in our Employee Stock Ownership
Plan (ESOP)? Once eligible, you can start your journey to ownership
with an annual gift of stock equaling 20% of what you make each
year. (ESOP available at most locations and subject to vesting,
check the locations Summary Plan Description).
WinCo Foods offers the very best benefits in the industry, with low
cost, high quality medical benefits with rates as low as $35 a
month, enrollment in our ESOP after 6 months, career advancement
opportunities, paid vacation and sick leave, competitive wages,
tuition reimbursement, employee assistance, discount program - and
even voluntary benefits like Pet Insurance!Overview:This position
has been posted for multiple locations. If selected, you need to be
prepared to work at any of the locations listed.
Job SummaryLearn all duties required of a Produce Department
Manager. Assists Produce Department Manager in directing and
controlling the operation of the Produce Department by
understanding related work areas including: supervising produce
department personnel; planning and ordering merchandise; ensuring
customer service and product quality, freshness and selection;
assisting in coordination and management of department operations
so as to control costs, meet targeted labor, maintain projected
profit margins, and meet or exceed sales goals. Perform department
clerk duties as needed.Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists Produce Department Manager in meeting departmental
projected sales and gross margin objectives. Creates effective
promotional and seasonal displays; prepares, proofs, stages and
packages products; prevents shrink; oversees cost/quality control;
orders necessary products and ingredients; prepares department
sales/production guides; prepares, charts and records sales
dollars/percentages; computes gross profit; processes and maintains
accurate department records; and controls expenses.
- Maintains and encourages an atmosphere of fast, friendly,
courteous customer service, etc.
- Ensures adequate product quantity, quality and freshness.
Orders, checks, receives and controls inventory; builds, maintains
and organizes product display and storage areas; stocks and rotates
products; inspects displays daily for substandard and outdated
product and discards outdated or spoiled products; ensures proper
temperatures are maintained in all phases of product handling and
preparation; follows retail labeling laws and company code dating
policy; follows company policy on processing re-work or
reduced-to-clear items, damage and spoilage of product; trims,
cuts, wraps, trays, displays and waters products as needed; ensures
proper pricing and signing; conducts inventories of all department
items; and prepares food items as needed.
- Learns and assists Produce Department Manager in supervising,
motivating, coaching, training and hiring of Department
- Learns and assists Produce Department Manager in monitoring
employee performance, and recommending personnel action (hiring,
firing, layoff and disciplinary action).
- Learns and assists Produce Department Manager in scheduling
personnel according to coverage needs and service level.
- Performs customer relation duties and engages in suggestive
selling and other sales techniques.
- Ensures proper merchandising of product by understanding
schematics, merchandising of advertised and special items, proper
signing procedures, analyzing cutting tests and meeting customer
- Maintains cleanliness and eye-appeal of work area, storage
area, equipment and retail displays according to company policy and
legal regulations; and cleans work area by mopping, sweeping,
taking out garbage, etc.
- Maintains a safe/secure work environment and ensures compliance
with security policies.
- Performs receiving duties. Verifies orders against invoices;
reports shortages and claims to ensure proper billing; breaks down
loads and dates product; and cuts cases; stacks, prices and marks
- Breaks down freight by moving product, placing it in inventory,
operating fork lift, etc.
- Performs all job duties and responsibilities with honesty and
- Performs other duties as assigned or needed.
- Completes the Manager in Training classroom and on the job
- High School Diploma or EquivalentExperience:
- Effective communication with co-workers and customers and
following written instructions.
- Demonstrating an understanding of overall company practices
through previous experience in the produce department or
- Providing leadership through skills in communication,
management of people, customer relations, employee relations,
analysis, planning orders, judgment, reaction to business activity,
- Performing basic math (adds, subtract, divide and multiply) and
computing weights and measures.
- Operating computers and windows software in a work
- Perform all duties and responsibilities of produce department
clerk at a fully competent and independent level.
- Perform supervisory skills (e.g., interviewing, scheduling,
hiring, counseling, training, disciplining, etc.)
- Effectively utilize excellent verbal, written, electronic and
interpersonal communication skills.
- Perform duties with mental alertness involving potential
hazards with respect to related procedures, equipment (e.g.,
knives, cookers), and work aides.
- Work with hands exposed to moisture, fruits, and
- Work around machinery emitting heat and cold conditions.
- Have knowledge of all areas of department production.
- Learn product variability, perishability, safety and sanitation
procedures and department policies.
- Learn taste, content and perishability of products; Conduct
visual inspections and read reports, manuals, etc.
- Calculate inventory.
- Stand for long periods of time, walk and move rapidly, bend,
stoop, twist and turn frequently.
- Perform repetitious arm and hand movements frequently.
- Reach, lift, stack and maneuver objects of varying dimensions
and weights up to 50 lbs. within the range of floor level to
- Push and pull fully loaded hand trucks and pallet jacks
containing product of substantial weight.
- Proper use cleaning chemicals in accordance with manufacture's
guidelines and instructions.
- Proper handling of related food products per State and County
laws, and WinCo standards.
- Perform primary duties efficiently and accurately.Additional
- Food Handlers Certification - current per State and County Laws
and WinCo standards.Machines and Equipment Operated:
- Computer terminal and office machines.
- Order/scan gun
- All department specific equipment which could include any of
the following: kitchen utensils, knives and appliances, automatic
slicers, grinders, stuffers, tumblers, smokehouse, vacuum sealers,
overwrappers, scales, band saws, meat tenderizers, meat slicers,
bone dusters, bulkers, bailers, cubers, mixers, dough machines,
shrink wrappers, cash registers, trash compactors, garbage
disposals, cardboard bailers, pallet jacks, hand trucks, and/or
fork lifts.Preferred Education, Experience and/or Credentials:
- Experience in a role with formal supervision responsibilities
managing performance and/or completion of supervisory training,
coursework or education.
- Experience in a role with product management responsibilities
including all aspects of inventory, display and maintenance of
products within the department.The above statements are intended to
describe the general nature of work performed by the employees
assigned to this job. All employees must comply with Company
policies and applicable laws. The responsibilities, duties and
qualifications required of personnel may vary.EEO/Inclusivity:As
WinCo Foods continues to grow, our diversity-from our variety of
perspectives and wide range of experiences-is essential to our
strategy and success. We are committed to continue to cultivate and
celebrate an inclusive environment in which all employees are
valued and respected regardless of their race, color, religion,
sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran,
or disability status.
Keywords: WinCo Foods, Salt Lake City , Manager In Training (MIT) Produce Department, Executive , Midvale, Utah
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!