Senior Manager, Technical Product Management
Company: Western Governors University
Location: Salt Lake City
Posted on: February 9, 2024
The salary range for this role takes into account the wide range
of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions
including but not limited to skill sets; experience and training;
licensure and certifications; and other business and organizational
needs.At WGU, it is not typical for an individual to be hired at or
near the top of the range for their role, and compensation
decisions are dependent on the facts and circumstances of each
case. A reasonable estimate of the current range is: Pay Range:
$142,500.00 - $235,000.00If you're passionate about building a
better future for individuals, communities, and our country-and
you're committed to working hard to play your part in building that
future-consider WGU as the next step in your career.Driven by a
mission to expand access to higher education through online,
competency-based degree programs, WGU is also committed to being a
great place to work for a diverse workforce of student-focused
professionals. The university has pioneered a new way to learn in
the 21st century, one that has received praise from academic,
industry, government, and media leaders. Whatever your role,
working for WGU gives you a part to play in helping students
graduate, creating a better tomorrow for themselves and their
families.The Senior Manager Technical Product Management position
at WGU is a people-leader role for experienced product individuals
who are talented at managing across multiple types of problems and
leading others to execute the solutions. You will mentor, coach,
and teach your direct reports to ensure each individual contributor
is learning and growing as they contribute to the overall success
of the product. Because you keep pace with new tools, capabilities,
and product methodologies, you bring best practices and methods
that help the Product Organization level up our practice.You are
focused on strategy across adjacent product teams and functions
within your domain. You identify unique opportunities across
multiple areas of the product and in ways that concretely effect
product outcomes. You have experience that demonstrates your
research and data collection strategies, you know how to use the
right research methods to get the right data at the right time. The
insights generated by your holistic research are valuable across
more teams than the domain you manage. You are a product evangelist
within our EdTech organization and with the larger university. You
are a go-to person, trusted by the business, and relied upon by the
stakeholders you serve.*This opportunity will be based in Salt Lake
City with remote flexibility.*Essential Functions and
- Leads a team of product managers to execute on the
vision/roadmaps, ensuring delivery goals and quality goals are
- Collaborates with senior leaders on product strategy and the
long-term roadmap for the platform and the portfolio.
- Hires, develops, and inspires each individual to do their best
work and foster team collaboration and enforce best practices.
- Collaborates with key stakeholders, product managers,
engineering directors and other leaders on prioritization,
balancing stakeholder initiative level priorities with portfolio
health needs to maximize value and minimize risk.
- Leads planning including balancing intra-portfolio priorities
with dependencies from other portfolios to sequence upcoming
- Leads Steering Committees with key stakeholders to provide
transparency and elevate key decisions and issues to "steer" the
portfolio in the best direction possible
- Actively works to resolve blockers and risks for the portfolio
and leads teams to validate assumptions and analyze and communicate
trade-offs to guide portfolio decisions.
- Be the domain expert, including the technology used,
integrations and dependencies. Knowledgeable on how the associated
products are used in the industry and understand the latest
relevant technologies, vendors, innovations, and forward-thinking
- Collaborates with engineering and business leaders on buy/build
decisions, the selection and sourcing of WGU software and provides
leadership to the RFI and RFP vendor selection process.
- Utilizes customer feedback, market research and industry data
to inform product technology strategy.
- Leads in the development and launch of products and services
for students and staff-facing solution.
- Maintains and builds relationships with business owners,
stakeholders, team members and key vendors.
- Accountable for ensuring portfolio KPIs and service levels meet
defined goals and measure of success targets and uses data to
inform/defend prioritization decisions.
- Shared accountability with engineering for portfolio health and
product quality and leading team in product stabilization,
performance, and proactive monitoring and improvements
- Participates in product management leadership meetings and
- Performs other related duties as assigned.Knowledge, Skill and
- Expertise in setting strategic direction and synthesizing
multiple initiatives and products together to deliver on
- Demonstrated experience working in the Agile Scrum framework
with complex products and multiple teams.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and prepared to act with incomplete
- Excellent communication and people skills
- Thrives working collaboratively as part of a team in a
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to effectively
influence, persuade and negotiate with multiple levels including
- Understanding of technical concepts and ability to communicate
them to non-technical audiences.
- Analytical and quantitative skills to use data and metrics to
back up assumptions, surface recommendations and drive decisions.
Ability to clearly communicate these data insights to
others.Competencies: Organizational Impact:
- Develops plan to accomplish division or job area
responsibilities that align with department.
- Performance may affect department results.
- Work requires some knowledge of the University to recognize
impact of decisions made.
- Compiles data to prepare budgets.Problem Solving and Decision
- Responsible for making improvements of processes or systems to
enhance performance of the job area.
- Accountable for coordinating activities and maintaining
relationships with internal (and occasionally external)
- Assignments received and problems faced are broad and
undefined, and require use of analytical concepts, investigation,
and knowledge from prior experience.Communication and Influence:
- Communicates within job area and often with external groups and
external facing professionals (i.e. Admissions)
- Communicates frequently with external groups on routine and
more complex matters.
- Ensures compliance with university policies and procedures
within job area and may influence others outside of job area to
justify and gain cooperation for policies, practices, and
procedures.Leadership and Talent Management:
- Manages a team of professionals. Manages the work of assigned
employees and/or supervisors who generally exercise some latitude
and independence in their assignments.
- Ensures proper training of team members, and actively
participates in hiring, firing, and promotion decisions. Conducts
performance reviews and recommends salary reviews.
- Primarily achieves goals through leading a team.Job
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent.
- 7 years of demonstrated experience as a software Product
Manager, Product Owner, or Group Product Manager.
- Requirements for specific software experience will vary based
on available product positions.
- Certified Scrum Product Owner (CSPO) or other equivalent
certification (e.g. Pragmatic Marketing)
- Experience directly leading and managing a team.Preferred
- Master's degree
- Experience in Education technology, higher education, or
- Certified in change management.Physical Requirements:
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.*Current WGU
employees must submit their internal application prior to 2/13/2024
to be considered for this position*Disclaimer: This Job Description
has been designed to indicate the general nature, essential duties,
and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this
classification. It does not contain a comprehensive inventory of
all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications that are required
of the employee to do this job. Duties, responsibilities and
activities may change at any time with or without notice. This Job
Description does not constitute a contract of employment and the
University may exercise its employment-at-will rights at any
time.#LI-aw2As an equal opportunity employer, WGU recognizes that
our strength lies in our people. We are committed to
Keywords: Western Governors University, Salt Lake City , Senior Manager, Technical Product Management, Executive , Salt Lake City, Utah
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!