RN Diabetes Educator, Part-Time
Company: Timpanogos Regional Hospital
Posted on: January 15, 2019
Timpanogos Regional Hospital provides compassionate, collaborative care to residents of Utah County, and has done so for the past 20 years. The facility contains 122 hospital beds and more than 700 employees and volunteers. With a culture for caring and a track record of excellence in patient care, Timpanogos Regional offers a full-spectrum of services, including a Level III NICU, a newly refurbished women's center, an orthopedic program that has received a No. 1 ranking in Utah for the past seven years, a 24/7 Emergency Department, top-quality cardiovascular care, and much more.
Timpanogos Regional is part of HCA's network of more than 300 affiliate hospitals, outpatient centers and business offices across the country. HCA and Timpanogos Regional are all about caring for people, and that care extends to patients, families and employees.
Located in Orem, Utah, Timpanogos Regional is surrounded by family-friendly attractions, thrilling outdoor adventures and cheerful community members. In 2017, TIME.com ranked Orem among the top 100 cities to live in because it's safe, affordable and friendly.
RN Diabetes Educator: Part Time
24 Hours per week
Under the direction of the Director of Medical/Surgical/Orthopedics/Pediatrics and PICU, oversees the diabetes education program of Timpanogos Regional Hospital, providing education to primarily three groups: Patients, Employees, and Community Members. Meet all criteria required to maintain hospital certification in the Diabetes Self-management Education Program as recognized by the American Diabetes Association. Serves as an expert and resource for diabetes management and treatment to adult and pediatric patients, staff, and the community. Teaches community classes as directed by administration. Consult with inpatient and outpatient diabetes patients as ordered by physicians. Screens inpatients to identify patients with diabetes or pre-diabetes and rounds on patients as needed to determine educational needs. Provides inpatient education as appropriate, or ensures the direct care RNs have resources and knowledge to provide the education. Portrays and promotes a positive attitude among employees. Supports the mission and vision statement of the hospital. Serves as a role model for clinical excellence.
- Under the direction of the Department Director, designs and maintains an effective diabetic program at Timpanogos Regional Hospital, geared at meeting the needs of inpatients and outpatients of all ages, select community groups and the staff who work with diabetic patients as a part of their jobs.
- Screens inpatients at least every 3 days to determine those with diabetes diagnosis. Visits patients while in the hospital to determine educational needs and provide training.
- Documents education given to the patients in the electronic health record.
- Contacts physician directly if concerns are identified which require follow-up or possible treatment modification.
- Coordinates educational needs with discharge planning and assists in preparing the patient for discharge. Involves dietary and pharmacy as needed.
- Contributes to the patient's plan of care by working with the direct care RNs
Current State of Utah or Compact Registered Nurse License.
Baccalaureate nursing degree required, masters nursing degree preferred.
Previous experience in management, supervision and/or education preferred.
Experience working in an acute care hospital setting preferred.
Working knowledge of current diabetes education and treatment standards required, experience in diabetes education preferred.
Current BLS certification (available after hire).
Willingness to obtain certification as a Diabetes Educator through the National Certification Board of Diabetes Educators. Current certification preferred
Keywords: Timpanogos Regional Hospital, Salt Lake City , RN Diabetes Educator, Part-Time, Healthcare , Orem, Utah
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!