Location: Salt Lake City
Posted on: June 12, 2021
As a Site Specialist you will bring healthy play and physical
activity to two elementary schools to create a positive environment
for learning and teaching. You will partner with two schools to run
Playworks' physical activity programs focused on teaching and
organizing safe and inclusive games during the school day. You will
teach conflict resolution strategies, inspire all children to get
off the sidelines and into the game and work to generate more
community and family involvement.
Specifically you will have Program, Administrative, and School
Partnership Duties as follows-
Plan and implement sports and play based programming during
recess, in school and after school hours at a public elementary
- Recess - Create a safe, fun, and inclusive playground by
developing and modelling standard agreements for behavior and
conflict resolution skills, teaching kids and recess support staff
the rules and strategies of the games, and recruiting disengaged
students to participate.
- Junior Coach Leadership Program - Implement a youth leadership
program by facilitating student trainings and providing student
leadership opportunities at recess. Junior Coaches are a mix of 4th
through 6th grade students who participate in regular trainings
that focus on teaching valuable skills like leadership, conflict
resolution, inclusion and community action, successfully improving
their self-esteem, self advocacy, leadership ability, and desire to
- Class Game Time - Lead instructional time with individual
classes throughout the year. During this time, the coach teaches
foundational skills and activities that will prepare students so
they can confidently engage in and enjoy recess.
- Interscholastic Leagues - Lead non-competitive teams designed
to develop skills, provide a positive team experience, and teach
good sporting behavior to students.
- Plan and implement the learning units and recess staff
trainings for program components.
- Support summer activities as needed.
- Alternate activities may be requested based on school needs and
as approved and in collaboration with Playworks. Modifications
could include online instruction and virtual delivery of recess or
class game time activities, urgent community service activities
such as support for school meals distribution during COVID-19,
- Maintain communication between Playworks staff, school staff,
teachers, families, and volunteers.
- Collect and maintain paperwork including organizing daily,
weekly, and monthly schedules and timesheets.
- Support the collection of evaluations administered by
School Partnership Duties:
- Consistently represent Playworks' brand in a professional
- Design program schedule with input and support from school
- Communicate with school administration regarding program
implementation logistics and support needs.
- Facilitate school's transition to other Playworks trainings,
programs, and products in preparation for future school years.
Regional Support Duties:
- Support in delivering corporate engagements to adults such as
School Beautifications, Play Days, Corporate Recesses in person or
- Support regional team and national program department with
delivery of programmatic learning, pre-service training, management
resources and contribute to the development and continued quality
improvement of Playworks curriculum.
- Participate in fundraising projects and events, e.g. End of the
Year Appeal and annual events.
If you're a good fit for this position, you already know most of
what this job entails. However, to be sure we're providing a
complete picture, here are some details:
- Success in this position will require you to be highly
organized and energetic, great at multitasking, with a strong
attention to detail and ability to manage time and multiple
- The strongest candidate will have proven experience and success
in managing dynamic programming, staying up to date on
administrative responsibilities, be a motivated self-starter with
ability to set clear goals and follow through with flexible and
creative problem solving.
Required Skills & Experience
- Proven organizational skills in meeting or exceeding
expectations in production of timely planning and deliverables such
as program plans, reports and observational notes.
- Extensive knowledge of youth development principles and
practices, especially relating to social and emotional learning,
play and inclusion.
- At least 2 years of experience working directly with small and
large groups of children.
- Experience working collaboratively with adults and facilitating
trainings for adults.
- Strong written and oral communication and presentation skills
with the ability to facilitate small and large group
- Experience establishing and maintaining professional
relationships with internal leadership and teams and external
clients through excellent interpersonal skills and
- Experience interacting with diverse communities and ability to
integrate into school communities.
- Knowledge of computer and internet based programs especially
Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint), Google Drive, and
virtual meeting platforms such as Google Meets and Zoom.
- Flexibility to readily adapt to a changing environment.
- Ability to work from home if needed.
Compensation & Benefits:
Playworks offers the full package - great benefits, a fun place
to work and an opportunity to grow professionally. We offer:
- Competitive nonprofit salary of $35,568. This is a full-time
- A comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental,
vision, disability, 40k, paid parental leave, life insurance,
employee funded pre-tax health and child care spending
- Paid vacation and sick-leave
- Opportunities for professional development
This is a hands-on, creative, playful and fun-loving place to
work, all while contributing to the success of our nation's youth.
So if you're ready to immerse yourself in the education sector,
working on a rewarding set of challenges and if you've got the
skills, experience, passion, and a team spirit, apply!
- Candidates selected for an interview will be contacted on a
Other things you need to know:
- This position may require travel to various locations.
- If a Playworks employee is required to drive a vehicle for work
related purposes (not commuting purposes) the employee must
complete an authorization form and provide us with evidence of
valid, current driver's license and proof of
liability/collision/property damage insurance with minimum coverage
of $50,000 each accident/ $100,000 each occurrence
- In the event of virtual instruction activities, position will
require use of computer technology and internet access
Typical physical and mental demands:
- Playworks Site Specialists are required to frequently balance,
bend, climb, grasp, kneel, reach, sit, squat, stand, stoop, twist,
walk, and write on a daily basis. Site Specialist must also be able
to occasionally lift and carry light to medium loads of 10 - 50
pounds, and be able to occasionally pull and push loads of 10 - 50
pounds. Requires a normal range of hearing and eyesight to
communicate with children and adults. Also requires flexibility to
readily adapt to a changing environments.
Playworks is the leading national nonprofit leveraging the power
of play to transform children's physical and emotional health.
Playworks currently serves more than 2,500 schools in 23 U.S.
cities, and reaches 1.25 million students directly and through
professional training services.
We believe in the power of play to bring out the best in every
kid. We are changing school climate by leveraging the power of
safe, fun, and healthy play at school every day. We create a place
for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, and
build valuable social and emotional skills. We partner with
schools, districts, and after-school programs to provide a service
or mix of services including on-site coaches, professional training
for school staff who support recess, and consultative
Playworks is changing the way children experience school every
day by leveraging the power of safe and healthy play. We create a
place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active,
and build valuable social and emotional skills. Our ambitions
demand that we invest in recruiting, developing and managing a team
that reflects the broad diversity of our communities.
Our core values of inclusion, respect, healthy community and
healthy play are the foundation of our organization and are infused
in all aspects of our work, including recruiting and retaining the
best talent we can. While diversity is often used in reference to
visual characteristics such as race, ethnicity, age, sex and
physical appearance, we embrace a broader definition of diversity
that also includes less visible factors, We also recognize that
individuals can affiliate with multiple identities.
As an equal opportunity program, Playworks encourages
applications from all individuals regardless of national origin,
religion, gender, differing abilities (physical, mental, learning),
sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, education, marital
status, language, political affiliation, military experience, and
any other legally protected basis. Playworks evaluates all
candidates on a merit basis.
Keywords: Playworks, Salt Lake City , Site Specialist, Other , Salt Lake City, Utah
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!