Data Scientist II
Company: Western Governors University
Location: Salt Lake City
Posted on: January 27, 2023
If you're passionate about building a better future for
individuals, communities, and our country-and you're committed to
working hard to play your part in building that future-consider WGU
as the next step in your career.Driven by a mission to expand
access to higher education through online, competency-based degree
programs, WGU is also committed to being a great place to work for
a diverse workforce of student-focused professionals. The
university has pioneered a new way to learn in the 21st century,
one that has received praise from academic, industry, government,
and media leaders. Whatever your role, working for WGU gives you a
part to play in helping students graduate, creating a better
tomorrow for themselves and their families.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
* Identify new data sources that will improve the diversification
of university data.
* Deep knowledge of various data sources (government, open source
APIs, web scraping, etc.).
* Ability to write and process complex SQL queries.
* Experience extracting meaning data from social networking
* Basic understanding of regular expressions to extract data from
semi-structured and unstructured data sources.
* Understanding of online web scraping to get data from sources
that don't offer API data access.
* Create predictive models leveraging machine learning
* Traditional statistical models (logistic regression,
classification algorithms, tree models, etc.).
* Machine learning algorithms (neural networks, decision trees,
* Text mining and natural language processing.
* Experience with very large data sets.
* Background in setting up and maintaining big data processes.
* Experience with Hadoop, Hive, and HBase in the Amazon AWS
* Efficient processing of large amounts of unstructured
data.Knowledge, Skill and Abilities:
- Advanced SQL programming, ETL development, Spark, and big
- Proficiency in Python, R, or Scala programming
- Experience with machine learning predictive modeling,
time-series forecasting, statistical analysis
- Data reporting and visualization (e.g. Tableau, Cognos, Power
- Business writing and communicationCompetencies: Organizational
or Student Impact:
- Works on assignments of medium to complex level.
- Structure project plans and manages cost-effective execution of
- Limit errors to prevent impact to client operations, costs, or
- This individual will follow established processes and
protocols.Problem Solving & Decision Making:
- Individual meets department and personal goals with some
- An important player on large technical projects and
- Uses discretion to help design and implement solutions to
somewhat complex problems.Communication & Influence:
- Communicates with contacts both within and outside of function
on matters that require explanation, interpretation, and advising;
typically has responsibility communicating to parties outside of
- Works to influence parties within the function at an
operational level regarding policies, practices, and
procedures.Leadership & Talent Management:
- May be responsible for providing guidance, coaching, and
training to other employees within the technical area.
- May manage technical projects at this level, requiring
responsibility for the delegation of work and reviewing others'
work products.Job Qualifications:Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in Statistics, Economics, Computer Science,
applied mathematics discipline, business, or other related
- 4 years' relevant experience in data analytics, business
intelligence, or information technologyDepartment Specific Minimum
- Advanced degrees (Master's or PhD) in quantitative discipline
with two years relevant work experience or bachelor's degree in
quantitative discipline with four years relevant work
- Experience working with Agile methodology
- Demonstrated experience in project managementPreferred
- Experience in Higher Education
- Experience working in Databricks
- 2 years' experience with PythonPhysical Requirements:
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at
As an equal opportunity employer, WGU recognizes that our strength
lies in our people. We are committed to diversity.
Keywords: Western Governors University, Salt Lake City , Data Scientist II, Other , Salt Lake City, Utah
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!