Avalanche Mitigation Supervisor Winter 23-24
Company: Solitude Mountain Resort
Location: Salt Lake City
Posted on: May 25, 2023
Please note, this position is located at Solitude Mountain
Resort in Solitude, UTFlex Year RoundOverview:This supervisory
position will oversee up to 45 employees and will be responsible
for a wide variety of mountain operations. The position involves
both field (80%), and office work (20%). The Avalanche Mitigation
Supervisor reports directly to the Avalanche Mitigation Manager and
the Ski Patrol Senior Manager. This position requires strong
interpersonal relationship skills as well as expert skiing
- The incumbent must be able to obtain an ATF explosive handlers
- Have a valid state driver's license.
- Have a current medical certification at Utah EMT, National EMT,
or OEC level.
- Current CPR certification.
- Expert skiing ability.
- Avalanche Pro 1 certification, Avalanche Pro 2 preferred
- Six years of ski patrol experience with two years of
- Four years of avalanche mitigation experience at a class "A"
resort is preferred.
- Strong communication and leadership skills
- Strong understanding of ski resort operations
- Able to hike in steep, exposed, and technical terrain in
arduous conditions with packs weighing between 40 and 60
- Assists in the training and evaluating ski patrollers in
avalanche rescue, mitigation techniques, and snow science.
- Maintains documentation of training, equipment assignments, and
condition of the equipment.
- Conducts inventories and maintains explosive caches.
- Fills in for the Avalanche Mitigation Manager as
assigned.Avalanche Mitigation Responsibilities:
- Responsible for forecasting future trends and current levels of
avalanche danger and mitigating avalanche hazards.
- Assists in the assignments of route leaders and partners as
necessary to conduct mitigation work.
- Collects and documents field data on snow, weather, and
- Determines the opening and closing of terrain based on
avalanche hazard forecasts.
- Maintains and installs aerial trams and shot cables
- Maintains and installs avalanche closure rope lines and
- Assists in the setup and tear down of remote weather
- The ability to lead a resort-wide, mass causality avalanche
- Able to conduct and coordinate complex off-premises rescues for
Wasatch Backcountry Rescue
- Have a working knowledge of Wyssen towers, a Remote Avalanche
Control System (RACS)Emergency Care and Rescue responsibilities at
both supervisory and functional levels:
- To provide emergency care to those in need of assistance.
- To provide transport from on mountain locations in expert
terrain to locations in the base area via rescue sleds and
- To be proficient in lift evacuations using specialized
- To be proficient in high-angle rescue
- To be proficient in search and rescue, including night
- Assists with avalanche incident investigations.THE BENEFITS AND
PERKSAt Solitude Mountain Resort, we offer a variety of employee
benefits! First, you are lucky enough to be working in the
beautiful, scenic Wasatch Mountains. Enjoy mountain activities
before work, after work, on work breaks, and on days off!
Activities include skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, cross
country, hiking, mountain biking, climbing, and so much more. Work
with other mountain enthusiasts. This is an excellent opportunity
to socialize, meet great people, and attend employee events around
the resort. Some events include unique opportunities like employee
ski days, employee yoga, live music events, film festival ski movie
features, and many more summer activities- at work! You get to work
and play in the same place. Eligibility is dependent on all
employee classification of work.BENEFITS:Ski and Ride
- Eligible employees receive a free Solitude season pass for
themselves and eligible dependents. This includes unlimited
skiing/riding for winter employees with no blackout dates and bike
hauls for summer employees
- Free access to select Alterra Mountain Company Destinations
throughout North America for you and eligible dependents
- Discounted Solitude lift tickets for your friends & family
- Discounted ski and ride lessons
- Free Nordic ski and snowshoe pass for the Solitude Nordic &
Snowshoe Center for winter employees
- Ski and ride perks at other local resorts
- Complimentary UTA Ski Bus passOther Benefits
- Medical, dental, vision, life, AD&D, short-term & long-term
disability insurance, EAP, HSA, FSA for eligible employees
- Discounts resort-wide for food, rentals, retail, lessons, and
- Pro deals with hundreds of outdoor brands
- 401(k) plan with generous company match for all employees
- Free counseling service for you and your household members
through our Employee Assistance ProgramRequiredPreferredJob
Keywords: Solitude Mountain Resort, Salt Lake City , Avalanche Mitigation Supervisor Winter 23-24, Other , Salt Lake City, Utah
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...